21.11.09

Marc Jacobs Spring 2010










"Marc is New York. Marc is New York Fashion Week. Marc is one of the most dedicated, extraordinary people and designers, and he just stays true to what he does, every season. I've been following his work since I started and he's just unbelieveably so on top of his game. I'm his number one fan." - Rachel Zoe, Stylist.

The lover in the relationship. The mother in the family. The designer in the fashion industry. It's Marc Jacobs.
As my personal favourite designer of all time, I appreciate all his lines, some moreso than others admittedly. It's OK because I've scrutinised every one of his collections and media releases, interviews and collaborative projects and all related endeavours of the glorious man that is Jacobs and understand that even if some aren't to my specific taste, I can always appreciate his way with a sketching pencil and sewing machine.
Wishful thinking - don't you think it would be great though if he did still make his own wares by hand?! Hunched over in an underground basement in downtown NYC with mllions of scribbled details on paper encroaching him on clothing lines held up by pegs.
I do.
ANYWAYS.

I can understand where he comes from, from the perspective of a fashion designer relating to the wearer of their clothes, when he said of his latest collection back in the September/October 2008 issue of RUSSH Magazine:
"When I trust my own whims. and the whims of people I trust, I feel that has credibility...belief is embedded in everything you do - so it doesn't actually matter whether people like it. I guess what we do, as a team, is a daily, weekly, monthly re-evaluation of whims."

And then when asked if fashion should be challenging, he casually says an incredibly bespoke quote that pretty much justifies why I love fashion and why i want to write about it all the time - "We don't need fashion. It's not a necessity. We don't need fashion at all, but we want fashion. And that's important. Because what we want is the reason for why we live." He's captured the idea that is on the tip of every devoted fashionista's tongue.
Of course we don't need fashion - no matter how much us girls say we need shoes, it's not true.
We only want them badly because they're just that fucking amazing. It's a whirlwind of constantly changing needs to express different emotions, atmospheres and wants, through proportion and silhouettes. Are you kidding?! That sounds bloody hard if you ask me - but somehow he does it and pulls it off with flair and a cool-headed approach all the while...

"Marc is always surprising, you never know quite what he's going to do. There's always got to be something, you can love it, you can hate it, you can get blown away...but it will always be something that you just do not expect." - Hilary Alexander, Fashion Director, The London Telegraph.

Expect him to be pushing the boundaries sometime again soon in one form or another, and showing us why we're meant to have fun in this lifetime: because we want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment