9.9.09

L.A. Story


i had to post this photo cos it reminded me of one of my favourite movies of all time.
L.A. Story.

it was one of those 90s movies that made no sense but inbetween the nonsense it had some amazing quotes and memorable characters who you wanted as best friends forever.

since age four when i stumbled across one of the video tapes my dad had been putting 'adult' movies on, really just naf movies with the occasional fuck thrown in, and this was one of them. hilariously, he would censor these moments by taping over them with some brilliantly camp ads. so i'd have SJP and Steve Martin undressing to have sex in a hotel bed, then suddenly i'm watching an ad for Hey Hey, It's Saturday! - score!!

the movie's about a weatherman named Harris K. Telemacher (played by Steve Martin, i know right!!) who's relationships are so vague and meaningless (basically his girlfriend was cheating with his boss for 3 years) that he finds consolation in a electronic freeway sign. oh yes.
his love interest turns to Sara after a randomely alluring meeting at a work luncheon, and soon after he meets SanDeE (Sarah-Jessica Parker, bright eyed and bushy tailed, before she was Sexed up) and the freeway sign and a certain Richard E. Grant (love) keep him floating between the two.

so the photo is like the wallpaper of his neighbour Ariel's rad house. it's got this amazing L.A. vibe, with an airy kitchen and segments of the wall which open up for you to poke your head through. i'm not down with interior design lingo, but you've just gotta see the movie for yourself.
Harris and Ariel have fun by filming eachother rollerskate through art museums. cool.
but truly i think it's one of the greatest love movies ever.

there are some sobby scenes near the end when Enya is the backing track, and the freeway sign stops Sara's plane from leaving, because it controls the weather, and i just become a mess.
the entire culture of L.A. is also explored in this film, which is why i love it so much. so much good and bad is observed about its people and way of living that you want to know these people so much better.

borrow it off me sometime.

my favourite quotes from L.A. Story:
"You know what I can't figure out, is that you look ready; you look so ready that I get ready and I get up and stand by the door for about ten minutes. I realise, you weren't ready at all so I sit back down. Then, I get another feeling that you're ready and I straighten my clothes and then I realise you just gave off illusion of being ready that I interpreted as not being an illusion. I'll be in the car,"

"So there I was jabbering on about my new job as a serious newsman, about anything at all. But all I could think was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful, and yet again wonderful."

"All I know is on the day your plane was to leave, if I had the power, I would turn the winds around, I would roll in fog, I would bring in storms, I would change the polarity of the earth so compasses couldn't work, so your plane couldn't take off."

"Why is it that we don't always recognise the moment when love begins? But we always know when it ends."




No comments:

Post a Comment