9.9.09

the solitary vice of reading

reading is one of those things in life that can never really change, it is easy and accessible, there is pretty much a book on everything somewhere in the world, it keeps you informed and thriving for more from this world and it makes you happy no matter what is going on in your life.

my personal collection is everything from yoga, nutrition and buddhism to Audrey Hepburn biographies, travel, childhood stories and novels by writers i've befriended. I have my display collection which i read frequently, then the quick referencers in the wall unit behind my bed, and the garage books that have been boxed to be taken with me wherever i go in the future. my favourites are books my mum and dad have given me. so many gems they have collected over the years - dad from Europe, and mum from Sri Lanka - just fill me with excitement and nostalgia everytime i go to read one.

and of course there's my fashion books - the vintage dating back to the 30s, the hefty illustration and how-to-sew editions and the new kitsch numbers i've collected and been given as gifts over the last few years.
magazines have my heart also - international and local, they're all on display under my bedroom window.
i adore little magical book stores that only a few lucky souls know about, like the ones in Glebe and Surry Hills. I have been late to class because of these stores.

in my 20s i want to travel to munich, venice and barcelona and lose myself in bookstores.

libraries have always felt like a second home, piles of books make my heart flutter and i have about a hundred bookmarks scattered around my room, just in case.

reading, i love you so.

In the words of Edward P. Morgan,
"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy.
"

















No comments:

Post a Comment